Rule 1. You agree to abide by all the rules listed here in the Site Rules and the TOS (Terms of Service). You also agree to check back often as some rules may change without notice; however, we will try and make sure all members are informed about any changes to the rules.
Rule 2. Plagiarism: Here at Gluttony, we do NOT allow any form of plagiarism. If you are quoting from a known source or submitting a Song Fic, then you MUST credit the proper person/s. Quotes should be no more than 3-5 lines (Song fics may have 4-5 lines per verse, this is why this rule is the way it is). Any material submitted that is deemed to be plagiarised, will be deleted from the archive and you will be banned. That is how strict Gluttony is about this rule. Check your work first before submitting it.
Rule 3. Word Count for Submission. All chapters should be at least 800 words, anything less than that and your story will be rejected. With the new rule added for Drabble's, any normal story WIP's must still be 800+ words in length. Drabbles are meant for one-shots or short ramblings that aren't meant to have more story to them. Any story WIP's with chapter lengths under 800 words WILL be rejected. Any one-shots under 800 words and NOT listed as a drabble will be rejected.
Chapter Fics: 800+ Words
One-Shots: 800+ Words
Drabble: 100 - 799 Words
Rule 4. Stories must be submitted to the proper category. If there is an appropriate sub-category, DO NOT add your story to the main category. The submission form allows you to choose multiple categories for your story, and we worked very hard to add that functionality for you. So please do NOT add your story multiple times!
Rule 5. Titles and summaries must be rated GA. See below for what the ratings are and what they mean. No exceptions to this rule. "Please read", "Untitled", etc. are not acceptable titles or summaries. Keep Summaries short, long summaries or posting half a page of dialogue into your summary will be removed and may result in story deletion/rejection.
Rule 6. Ratings: The rating guidelines are as follows:
- GA: General Audience - This rating is suitable to ALL ages. This rating can not hold any warnings. If a warning is needed, then you must rate your story higher and add appropriate warnings. If I can't read a story rated GA to my 3yr old, it will be rejected/deleted.
- R12+: Readers 12 years and over - This rating is for readers aged 12 years and older and allows for younger teenage situations to occur. This raing is allowed only a few warnings. These are: Mild Teen Romance, Mild Teen Language, Mild Teen Violence and Sensitive Subject. Please see the staff tutorials in regards to the limits of this rating and the use of warnings.
- R15+: Readers 15 years and over - This rating is for readers aged 15 years and older and allows for mature teenage situations to occur. The warnings that are allowed with this rating are: Mild Teen Romance, Mild Teen Language, Mild Teen Violence, Strong Teen Romance, Strong Teen Language, Slash, Alcohol/Drug use and abuse and Sensitive Subject. Please see the staff tutorials in regards to the limits of this rating and the use of warnings.
- MA18+: Mature Audience aged 18+ - This rating is for readers aged 18 years and above. This rating allows more Adult situations to happen and more description than the R15+ allows. However, this rating is also below what would be rated R or NC-17. This rating can hold warnings of Fluff, Alcohol/Drug use and abuse, Sexual Content, Violence, Mild Adult Romance, Mild Adult Language, Mild Adult Violence, Strong Adult Romance, Strong Adult Language, Strong Adult Violence and Slash. Please Refer to Staff Tutorials for further information about these warnings.
Rule 7. What is NOT accepted at any time: While Gluttony holds certain ratings, there are certain things that will NOT be tolerated here, these are:
- Adult/Minor Relationships - Adults are considered 18 years or over. Although in the Harry Potter world, a wizard comes of age at 17, in some countries, a person does not reach adulthood until they are 18. As these relationships are not legal or ethical in real life, they are not allowed here.
- Teacher/Student Relationship or those deemed in a ‘Powerful' position - This is NOT allowed at any time. There should be equality in any relationship, so if one is in a position of power eg. A Teacher, Doctor etc. They can not have relationships with their students, patients etc. The only exception to this rule will be for stories rated 18+ and dealing with work colleagues. However, where a relationship is between a boss/employee, both parties must consent to the relationship and have an equality to the relationship. As these relationships are not legal or ethical in real life, they are not allowed here.
- Rape/Non-Consent or any other kind of sexual abuse - This is NOT allowed at any time.
- Discrimination of any kind - This is more directed at hatred of race, sex or religion. Although in the Harry Potter world, there is/was a battle between the Pureblood's, Half Blood's, Muggle-Born, and Muggle's, this is not to be glorified in any way. If JKR can get her message across without stepping out of bounds, then so can we.
- Bestiality and Incest - This is NOT allowed at any time.
- Pornography - While Gluttony does allow Adult content, these scenes should be written in a tasteful manner and not be outright porn.
- Abuse/Child Abuse/Spousal Abuse - Child/Spousal Abuse is NOT tolerated at any time. Glorifying this subject is NOT tolerated. While there may be some form of abuse, eg. Alcohol, drugs, use of the Cruciatus Curse or writing about Harry's life with the Dursley's, these subjects can not be glorified in anyway. As this is not legal or ethical in real life, they are not allowed here.
- Self-Harm - UPDATED: As long as this subject is not glorified, we will consider stories of this nature. Please contact the Admin team in regards to this subject.
- Suicide - Descriptive, or glorifying cases of suicide is NOT allowed at anytime. However, you may deal with these issues in a tactful manner. Stories of this nature must hold a rating no less than R15+ with Strong Teen Violence warning. The staff reserves the right to accept or reject stories of this nature on a case by case basis.
- Eating Disorders - This is NOT allowed at any time.
- Forced Marriages - Consented, arranged marriages, between adults, where both parties agree to the situation they are in, and are happy about what is going on, is VERY different to being forced to marry someone against their will. So forced marriages are not permitted.
- Human Slavery - Unless referring to this based on a historical fact, then this is NOT permitted at any time. For Harry Potter Fan Fiction, obviously the 'Imperius Curse' can act like a use of slavery. Please do NOT glorify this situation at any time, doing so will result in story rejection/deletion.
- Net Speak, Chat Format and Scripts - Net Speak is not any form of writing, so please do not submit it, this includes the use of emotions within asterisks (*gasp* - Unless needed to demonstrate an action by a non-human character). Chat Format's and Script's are not considered stories at Gluttony and are not permitted.
- Author's Notes within stories - Leave ALL Author's notes to the dedicated sections (Chapter Notes or End Notes). Any A/N's used within the story text space will result in deletion or rejection
- Plagiarism - Please see Rule 2
- Excessive use of Language - While certain Profanity words are allowed, please do not use these words to excess. Use of certain words should be in proportion to your story/plot line and no one needs to see profanity being used in almost every sentence.
- No Links to outside sites - This includes email addresses, web site links, blog links, other story archive sites etc. The exception to this rule is the Recommendations Feature, but linking to a story/site that is concidered R or NC-17 is not permitted.
- Personal Information - You may NOT give out any personal information about yourself. This rule is here to protect members from any predators that may be lurking around. Your safety is more important than any story! (This includes, but is not limited to, Age, location, school/work, email address links to websites/blogs)
Rule 8. Warnings: Here is a list of the warnings and what they mean. If you are still unsure, please see the Staff Tutorials or ask a staff member to look over your work before submission. (Staff Tutorials are still in the works, I apologise for the delay)
- Alcohol Use/Abuse - Only to be used in R15+ and MA18+ Stories. This warning must be applied even if any alcoholic substance is commented on in passing. Excessive abuse of Alcohol usage will result in rejection.
- Contains Spoilers - This is here really for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Although the book was released in July 2007, there could be someone out there that has no read the book yet. You may use this warning if you are basing your story off any of the previous books as well, there is no harm in it.
- Drug Use/Abuse - Only to be used in R15+ and MA18+ Stories. This warning must be applied for any kind of drug use or is referenced to in passing. Excessive abuse of Drug use will result in rejection.
- F/F Slash - This warning can be used in R15+ or MA18+ stories and relates to Female/Female relationships.
- Fluff - Can be used in any rating. This warning is for all the cute stuff that leaves you warm and fuzzy at the end of the story.
- M/M Slash - This warning can only be used in R15+ and MA18+ stories and relates to Male/Male relationships.
- Mild Adult Language - This warning is only to be used in stories rated MA18+. To see what words are allowed, please refer to the Staff Tutorial.
- Mild Adult Romance - This warning is only to be used in stories rated MA18+. To see what situations are allowed, please refer to the Staff Tutorial.
- Mild Adult Violence - This warning is only to be used in stories rated MA18+. To see what situations are allowed, please refer to the Staff Tutorial.
- Mild Teen Romance - This warning can be used for ratings of R12+ and R15+.
- Mild Teen Language - This warning can be used for ratings of R12+ and R15+.
- Mild Teen Violence - This warning can be used for the rating of R12+ and R15+. To learn more about this warning, please refer to the Staff Tutorials.
- Sensitive Subject - This warning can be used in all ratings. This warning relates to subjects that could cause someone to cry or is of a sensitive nature. Please refer to the Staff tutorials to get a better understanding of this warning.
- Sexual Content - This warning can only be used with R15+ and MA18+. However, there is a difference between what kind of sexual content is allowed in the two different ratings. Please see the Staff Tutorials to learn the difference.
- Strong Adult Language - This warning can only be used with the rating of MA18+. Please see Staff Tutorials to see what words are allowed. Excessive use of language can result in rejection/deletion.
- Strong Adult Romance - This warning can only be used with the rating of MA18+. Please see the Staff Tutorials to see what kinds of situations are allowed.
- Strong Adult Violence - This warning can only be used with the rating of MA18+. Please refer to the Staff Tutorials to learn what is acceptable.
- Strong Teen Language - This warning can only be used with the rating of R15+. To learn more about this warning, please refer to the Staff Tutorials.
- Strong Teen Romance - This warning can only be used with the rating of R15+. To learn more about this warning, please refer to the Staff Tutorials.
- Strong Teen Violence - This warning can only be used with the rating of R15+. To learn more about this warning, please refer to the Staff Tutorials.
- Violence - This warning can only be applied to stories rated R15+ and MA18+. To see more about this warning, please refer to the Staff Tutorials.
Rule 9. Dedicated Authors - Dedicated Author's are members who we feel have a very strong grasp of the rules here at Gluttony. Being granted with Dedicated Author or DA Status allows a member to submit straight to the archive and skip the queue.
We will monitor members stories/chapter's submitted, behaviour around the forums, in reviews and when dealing with the staff. Anyone can become a DA (Dedicated Author), but you can not ask to be one. Being a Dedicated Author has nothing to do with how much you submit to the archive, it is about trust and respect. If we can trust you to follow the few rules we have here, respect them and your fellow members, then members will get bumped up quicker.
Rule 10. The Recommendations Feature is there so you may recommend stories that are off-site. However, the main rule is to NOT link a story that is rated R or NC-17 or to a site that contains R or NC-17 ratings. if you have any further questions about this rule or the Recommendation's Feature, please email me at: admin[at]gluttonyfiction[dot]com.
Rule 11. Graphics: Story Banners must NOT exceed 700(w) x 110(h) in pixels and can only be placed in the summary of your story. Graphics can also be placed in your Bio (NO Personal Pictures of yourself!) and can NOT exceed 300(w) x 300(h) in pixels, this also applies to Chapter Graphics. Chapter graphics should be at the beginning/End of each story chapter. ALL graphics must be of a GA rating and you must host the graphics yourself.
Rule 12. Clichés, Mary Sue/Gary Stu - There are a few sites out there that won't allow this content. However, I have an appreciation for a great Clichéd fic or a character that may be considered a Mary Sue or Gary Stu, so these stories are welcome here.
Rule 13. Crossovers - Gluttony will accept Harry Potter Crossover stories, however, please give proper credit in every chapter and remember that certain Author's do not want any one writing fan fiction about their stories. Some of these Author's are: P.N. Elrod, Raymond Feist, Terry Goodkind, Laurell K. Hamilton, Anne McCaffrey, Robin McKinley, Irene Radford, Anne Rice, and Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb, and George R.R. Martin. Any submissions based on those mentioned above or from any that we learn from will result in deletion/rejection.
Rule 14. RPG Fiction - If you wish to submit a story based on RPG Characters, the story must contain an Original Character that you have created and developed as a character. You must also have permission from the Admin of a RPG board, if your story is based around the world that they have created, and if you use any other characters that are not your own. You must also have their permission. You must also give credits to the RPG board and any other character used in the end notes of every chapter of your story. The Staff at Gluttony will check on these credits as you submit and if we find that no permission was given, the story will be rejected/deleted.
Rule 15. Actor/actress stories are not permitted...not even if they're visiting an alternate reality. This rule extends to all living persons.
Rule 16. Correct grammar and spelling and formatting are expected of all stories submitted to this site. The site administrators are not the grammar police. Example: We do not care if you have too many commas or too few. Your story does need to be legible and the site administrators reserve the right to request corrections in submissions with a multitude of grammar and/or spelling errors. If such a request is ignored, the story will be deleted. Story formatting should be always be practiced, however, large blocks of text, paragraphs not being separated and incorrect use of dialogue will result in rejection/deletion.
Rule 17. Reviews: Although it is not a requirement, every Author would love it if you reviewed for them. However, there are some rules that MUST be adhered to:
- No Flames - If you really hated the story for whatever reason, just keep moving. Do NOT tell an Author that you hated a pairing or subject matter, as the warnings and characters are listed in the story summaries as well as a brief summary of what the story is about. If you ignore this and read the story anyway, it is your own fault, not the Author's.
- ALL reviews must be rated 12+ and must be a proper review. No chatting or asking unrelated questions in the review section.
- While CC Reviewing (Constructive Criticism) is welcomed, please make sure that you also compliment the Author too. If you are finding more negative things to say, move on and don't review. There are some people who write for fun and don't take it all very seriously, so if their plot isn't as great as you thought it could be or should be, do they really need to know that? Use your own discretion and common sense.
- Do NOT threaten for Reviews, that is plain rude. Examples of this is: "Review or I won't update" or "I'm not going to review for you if you don't for me!" While we all love feedback, it is up to every individual if they wish to leave a review or not. Any of this behaviour will lead to rejection deletion of a story.
- Do NOT review yourself or chat with your readers via the review system. If you have something to say to your readers, leave it to your A/N. Also, please remember to NOT give out personal information. This includes email addresses and links to other sites.
Rule 18. Stories with multiple chapters should be archived as such and NEVER as separate stories. Upload the first chapter of your story, then go to Manage Stories in your account to add additional chapters. If you have trouble with this, please contact the site administrator or ask a friend to help you.
Rule 19. As much as possible, spoiler warnings are expected on all stories. For categories with serialised content, such as series of books, spoilers are mandatory for the current/latest book.
Rule 20 - posting the same story more then once is generally forbidden on most archives. This rule still applies to Gluttony, but with two exceptions. Some of us re-write and change stories completely, even though they keep the same/similar plot. I am now allowing original versions and edited/changed versions of stories to be posted. Only one revised copy may be posted and the changes must be significant enough to warrant a new version of the story to be re-posted. The other is for story collaborations. You may have your story posted in your account and in the collaboration account. However, you must stipulate in your own account that the story is part of a collaboration and from what site the collaboration came from.
Rule 21 - Collaboration Accounts or Other Site Accounts - The host or owner of the account must make sure all stories posted comply to the TOS of this site, especially if you are granted DA status on that account. Any story found or deemed in violation of the TOS and Site Rules, will result in that story deletion without notice and the account faces suspention or banning, depending on the severity of the breech. Please make sure there is a limit as to who knows the password to the account. Gluttony will not take responsible for material submitted without your approval and reserves the right to remove any suspected malicious postings. These rules are subject to change without notice.
Rule 22 - Poetry Collections - Poetry collections must be exactly that. You can NOT submit one single poem to the archive and mark it as complete. Poetry collections must be of at least 100 words per chapter. A collection can only be closed after a minimum of 15 chapters, and you may have more then one collection opened at a time. As long as those collections are still a Work In Progress (WIP), else if your collection lies dormant for more then 3 months, I will delete it from the archive.
Make sure no real names are given away in your works or that you identify yourself in any way or where you are (No naming of your highschool, work place etc.). And make sure that ALL ratings and warnings are applied to your work. If you add a poem that may be of a higher warning then your others, then change your original setting to apply to the new poem going into your collection. No plagerising is permitted, you can NOT submit your favourite poem by someone else or your favourite poet, this is only open for your own work! If you have a poem that was inspired by other works, for example: Other poets or movies/books/songs, then proper credit must be given in the Author's notes. Failure of proper crediting will result in your poetry rejection/deletion.
Rule 23 - Drabble's: For your story to qualify for this category, it must be between 100 - 800 words in length. There are two sub-categories, and they are Original Fiction and Harry Potter. the only poetry that will be accepted into this category will be longer poems that have a theme or story to them, otherwise, see rule 22. Normal story WIP's must still be 800+ words in length. Drabbles are meant for one-shots or short ramblings that aren't meant to have more story to them. Any story WIP's with chapter lengths under 800 words WILL be rejected.
Rule 24 - Jim Butcher Fan Fiction: Any stories submitted under this category MUST have this disclaimer in the 'Author's Notes' section: "The Dresden Files/Codex Alera is copyright Jim Butcher. This story is licensed under the Creative Commons as derivative, noncommercial fiction.” - Failing to add this disclaimer or removing it will result in the rejection or deletion of your story from Gluttony.
Submissions found to be in violation of these rules may be removed and the author's account suspended at the discretion of the site administrators and/or moderators. The site administrators reserve the right to modify these rules as needed.