Best book?

Discuss this book here

Moderators: Elena, Admins

pookha
Respected Member
Respected Member

Best book?

Post by pookha »

While this isn't my favourite book in the series (that would be GoF), I do think it's the best written book in the series.

JKR did a great job showing that evil doesn't always have to be snarling, pure evil like Voldemort, but can also be someone who is so sure of their righteousness that they become evil, like Umbridge.

Like Hamlet, there's a bit of a play within a play for me here, too. The situation in Hogwarts represents what's happening in the Wizarding world at large. It's so beautifully written and subtly done.

Umbridge just glows with her self-righteousness and she's my favourite of the minor villains. She is truly loathsome.

This books introduces a minor character who became a more major character: Luna. She was the only non-Gryffindor to fight with them at the Ministry. I wonder how she would have been as a character if she'd been around since the second book. I absolutely love Luna. :D

The DA is so important, not only for its resistance to Umbridge, but because it shows that Harry is a strong wizard in his own right. Until OotP, people had been telling me that Harry wasn't much of a wizard, and always relied on his friends. I never understood it myself, but it was officially silenced after OotP.

We see more of the trio growing more mature. Harry becomes very angsty, very teen-like, sure that his problems are the most important and that his views need to be heard. His stubborness in not accepting that his visions could be counter-intelligence from Voldy-baby is pure Harry. He's more clearly shown here as impulsive, but with his heart in the right place.

Hermione/Ron shippers became much more sure about what they thought here. Ginny/Harry also became more clear, even as Harry crushed on Cho.

The ending scene with Luna talking to Harry about Sirius is one of my favourite scenes in the books and the genesis of my Harry/Luna shipping.
Image(MA18+)
banner by Marauder_By_Night from eHPF
Elena
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best book?

Post by Elena »

I agree that this is the best written book, but my favourite was PoA :)

I never did understand why people thought Harry to be a hopeless Wizard. Sure, he needed help and guidance, but don't we all, when we don't know or understand something?

I think what people forgot was that Harry had no idea he was a wizard till 11, then sent back to the Dursley's where he wasn't allowed to even think about magic. It wasn't like he had family or friends to teach him, so that when he went to school, he wasn't the brightest.

Then you have Characters like Ron, who is magical, but just as dumb and naïve, but when it counts, he has the wit and skill to pull through. Without Hermione, they were both doomed. So, in actual fact, the trio was simply meant to be.

I think what angered me the most from OotP onwards was his Angst. I think it went too far and he became the whiney little boy. I can understand his frustrations of being cut off (going back to the dursley's)....But it wore off me quickly and I just wanted him to snap out of it and get on with it.

The part that DID make me cry in the book, which I was VERY disappointed in the movie, was after Sirius was killed and the scene where Harry throws things at Dumbledore in grief and anger, but also Dumbledore's letting him do it and his admission he was wrong.

The book really evokes your emotions here. It was one of the saddest moments of the entire series. Harry had just lost his God Father, and right in front of him too, and the movie skipped his grief!!

But yes, Harry does become more grown up in this book, but not just because of his age, but because of what he has seen and experienced. Even Hermione and Ron, although they help Harry a lot, have no idea what Harry has had to deal with on his own. You can easily feel sorry for Harry, but also want him to be more Mature than his age permits!
Banner by Elena - Fan Fiction : Gluttony (M) : Archive of Our Own (AO3) (M) : HPFF (M) : HPFT (M)
BKL8008
Fan
Fan

Re: Best book?

Post by BKL8008 »

Agreed, Elena.

As someone who has been through something similar, I can tell you that Rowling got the tantrum pretty much right. I was upset to see the movie skip over that. Perhaps they thought Dan couldn't pull it off? I don't know...

Still, my favorite is PoA when Harry firsts meets Sirius and discovers the truth about him.